Finally! UMBEL v 1.00
Structured Dynamics and Ontotext have now released version 1.00 of UMBEL. This version is the first production-grade release of this open source, reference ontology for the Web.
UMBEL's 28,000 reference concepts and their relationships help organize, link and present heterogeneous datasets and information on the Web. UMBEL lowers the time and effort to develop, maintain and use ontologies, and to align them with other content.
In broad terms, here is what is included in the new version 1.00:
- A core structure of 27,917 reference concepts (RCs), an increase of 36% over the prior version
- The clustering of those concepts into 33 mostly disjoint SuperTypes (STs)
- Direct RC mapping to 444 PROTON classes
- Direct RC mapping to 257 DBpedia ontology classes
- An incomplete mapping to 671 GeoNames features
- Direct mapping of 16,884 RCs to Wikipedia (categories and pages); 60% of UMBEL is now mapped to Wikipedia
- The linking of 2,130,021 unique Wikipedia pages via 3,935,148 predicate relations; all are characterized by one or more STs with 876,125 also assigned a specific type
- And, some vocabulary changes, including some new and some dropped predicates.
UMBEL's basic vocabulary can also be used for constructing specific domain ontologies that can easily interoperate with other systems.