UMBEL Version 1.10 Released
Structured Dynamics today
released version 1.10 of its open source UMBEL (Upper
Mapping and Binding Exchange Layer) reference concept ontology.
This new release is in preparation for a series of subsequent releases
planned over the next few months as additional consistency and
functionality is brought to the system.
This is the first UMBEL version to be created and loaded from scratch
using a new Clojure scripting framework. Fred Giasson describes these scripts and
highlights some of the new functionality in a separate blog post.
Besides this new processing framework, here are the key changes at a
high level made in this new version:
- Reconciliation with the parent OpenCyc concepts
- Added reference concept definitions where missing
- Added additional altLabels (to the semsets) in many
- Checked graph integrity for relationships between concepts
- Reviewed and corrected prefLabels to make them unique (for
more usefulness in autocompletion)
- Checked assignments of all reference concepts to a parent SuperType
- Reviewed SuperType assignment inconsistencies and removed some
- Updated mappings to OpenCyc, GeoNames, schema.org and the DBpedia
ontology (see next).
This new UMBEL v. 1.10 is now updated and consistent with OpenCyc (version 4.0, dated
October 12, 2012), GeoNames
(version 3.1, dated October 29, 2012), schema.org (version 1.9, dated August 19,
2014) and the DBpedia ontology
(version 3.9, retrieved August 18, 2014). The resulting mappings now
- 26,091 Reference Concepts in UMBEL Core
- 1,925 Reference Concepts in UMBEL Geo
- 27,691 links between OpenCyc and UMBEL (which includes Core &
- 754 links between Schema.org classes and UMBEL
- 688 links between Geonames.org classes and UMBEL
- 682 links between the DBpedia ontology classes and UMBEL.
These changes have also resulted in some improvements to the umbel.org
Web site and its Web services, as more fully described by Fred. The
updated ontologies and mappings may be found at the UMBEL GitHub site.
What's In the Pipeline
As noted, this version update is in preparation for some pending
activities, which are now moving toward completion. Subsequent releases
(perhaps not in the order shown) will include:
- Introduction of a new reference Attributes Ontology as a new module
extension to UMBEL
- Completion of the mappings to the English Wikipedia
- Adding new concepts resulting from these Wikipedia mappings, plus
adding concepts to complete 100% mappings to GeoNames, DBpedia and
- Additional definition and semset updates to the structure
- Checks to external mappings for consistency
- Automated tests for completing the integrity of the UMBEL graph by
identifying missing connecting concepts
- An improved method to extend disjointedness assertions across the
- Additional Web services to support the above.
Look to the UMBEL
mailing list for these future announcements.